Sunday, September 21, 2008

Blogging: To be, or not?


Another year and a half have gone by, and again I insist on not posting. Actually, it's not really an active choice, more just a simple omission. I'm getting the impression that blogging just may not be my style. I think that I may be more introverted than I give myself credit for.  For you folks at home, I'll try and cover some ground from the past year and change. I'll throw in a few pictures, just to remind you what I look like! 

I struggled with my diverticulitis, having a few more attacks and being on antibiotics for a few more rounds. I was given the advice to reduce my stress, drink more water, and have a higher fiber diet. I was also working in a high paced in-patient unit where I would get to work at
 6:15am, eat lunch between 2-5pm(if I got lunch at all), and get home anywhere between 8 and 9:30p. Then I would get up and do it again the next day. I experienced a fair amount of stress on the job, but the people I worked with were amazing. I was considered one of the more
 experienced nurses, and a good resource ( a little creepy, considering I'd been in the field three years).  It was very hard on mind, body, and spirit. Then, there were also days where I'd feel
 like I'd made a breakthrough with a patient, or I feel I'd done something extrordinary with my day. Unfortunately, it was taking a toll on my health and quality of life. December of '07 I began
 working per diem at a small community hospital in their stress lab and cardiac/pulmonary rehab. Outpatient, normal hours, lunch breaks... almost unheard of in my profession. A full-time position opened up in May, which is where we find my employment today. No insanity, but I'm wrestling with the reward component. In nursing, I want to feel I'm making a difference in someone's life. In my current position, I don't really feel that and I frankly don't spend enough time with any given individual to really effect any change. The reality is that I will need to find fufillment outside my job, and enjoy the little successes
 when they come my way. 


Chris and I got married October 13, 2008. It was perfect in every sense of the word. I can't believe in a few weeks it will be our 1 year anniversary! We were married at Castle Hill on the Crane Estate. I stayed at the Inn at Castle Hill, and below you'll see a picture from the porch
 there. The weather was crisp but warm, not a cloud in the sky. 
















 We honeymooned in Playa Del
 Carmen, Mexico at an unbelievable all-inclusive resort. I still dream about that place... 


































In Feburary, we bought a house in Groton, MA. It was difficult to leave Arlington, but we gained so much moving out here! Our property (which seems funny to type "our property") abuts an area "preserved for agricultural use." No one has purchased the property, and when they do they can only use it for horses or hay. Beyond that 191 acre parsel is another area of conserved land, a retired apple orchard. In Groton, there is over 1,000 acres of preserved land open to hikers, mountain bikers, etc. It's paradise! 














I've found it difficult to photograph our actual house because we're on a hillside. Besides, as most people can attest, photos don't do it justice. The short version is I'm doing well. I'm learning to garden, care for a home, and continuing to grow. Perhaps I'll just start posting a photo gallery? 

No comments: