Thursday, February 15, 2007

Health, Surgery, etc.

It's been a while, yet again. I thought I'd be a bit better about updating, but there have been a few overwhelming things occuring recently, and publishing them has been put on the back-burner.

A few weeks ago, I was admitted to the hospital with what I thought was appendicitis. After the laparoscopic procedure, the doctor found it wasn't my appendix. I was having a diverticulitis attack (the second in my life). This time it was located in the ascending colon, which is extremely rare, especially in someone my age. A round of antibiotics later, I started my slow return to work. After two days of nursing, I felt pain in my left side. I was having yet another attack, which brings me up to now. I'm on oral antibiotics, getting back to a normal work schedule, and very nervous about my future.

There is some information that suggests that high fiber, good hydration, and stress management will all help to avoid future attacks. However, I've now had three attacks (first one was '03) at the age of 30. I'm a genetic freak, or at least my colon is. I still don't want to have surgery, because that has a whole host of other issues associated with it.

For those who don't know what diverticulitis is, may I suggest checking out the wikipedia description here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diverticulitis

There should be some more uplifiting info coming up soon. Wedding planning, etc...

No comments: